Thursday, May 31, 2012

Cuban Navy Bean Soup for you!



I promised to share when my I find a winner in my new vegetarian cooking quest.  So, here it is: 


I made soup!  There is an exclamation because it is the first time ever.  And, I've never had navy beans.  I soaked them last night in water (which I've learned you always do for about 8-10 hours with dry beans) and then poor Iris, my 5 year old, was sick today.  So, navy bean soup seemed perfect.  


I made the recipe as listed below but used only about 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil.  I didn't have cabbage or saffron threads (What the heck is that anyway?  I had to google) and it still turned out great.  So, I'm sure it's even better with all of the ingredients.


My trick with any dry beans is adding kombu (seaweed which gives LOTS of nutrients and flavor and decreases the bean gas effect so they say) and at least 2 bay leaves.  You take both out before serving.


So, we all had it for dinner.  And, I think it's a vegan winner packed with lots of yummy nutrition.  ENJOY!














Cuban Navy Bean Soup
Total time:  2 hr 15 min
Prep time:  15 min
1 cup navy beans (soaked)
12 qts water
bay leaf
14 cup olive oil
2 cloves clove garlic (chopped)
onion (chopped)
2 cups tomatoes (chopped)
potato (diced)
saffron threads
salt
pepper
12 tsp cumin
1 cup shredded cabbage
1 cup butternut squash (diced)
2 tbsps fresh parsley (chopped)
1Drain beans, combine with water& bay leaf& simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
2Add additional water if necessary.
3In a skillet, heat olive oil& cook garlic& onions 6 minutes.
4Add tomatoes& cook for 10 minutes.
5When beans are tender, add tomato mixture, potato, saffron, salt, pepper, cumin, cabbage& squash& cook for another 30 minutes.
6Add more water and stir as necessary.
7Serve garnished with parsley.



























































No comments:

Post a Comment