Saturday, April 14, 2012

Unexpected Treat

There are some days in life that you get an unexpected treat.  My friend and vegan cooking enthusiast Courtenay surprised me with a big treat; She had an extra CSA box (community sponsored agriculture) from Greenling and gave it to our family.  SWEET!


A CSA box is a box of fresh veggies from local farms.   FREE farm fresh food.  When does that happen in life?  
I've used Greenling before and love them.  They come in handy when my husband, who is a filmmaker is in crunch time working 24-7.  You order online and NEVER have to leave your house.  Your groceries just show up perfectly packed every week, pretty much all organic and comparable to Whole Foods prices.  You cannot beat it when you are solo with little ones and you'd rather be in a Vietnamese torture camp than brave the grocery store solo with them.


So, I had a personal drop off from Courtenay. Lucky me!!!  You should check out her blog here if you are looking for super healthy vegan recipes and ideas.  She is a cooking machine!



The fun of the CSA box is that you have NO idea what to expect.  I carefully pulled apart the contents of the box.  Lettuce...yep...broccoli...recognize those.  Big leafy stuff???  Huh?  So, I text Court.  Oh yeah, collard greens.  Duh!!!  I blame it on overworked, overtired mommy brain.  I HAVE actually made a recipe with collard greens since my new plant based switch after Christmas.  And, then, something else... sorrel.  Scuze me...sorrel?  

Here it is:

It tastes very lemony.  So okay, I just figure, let's chop it up, stick it in a salad to go with our soy cheese pizza.  So, I mixed it in with the lettuce (2 box items used), added a roma tomato, purple onion, red bell pepper, cucumber, toasted almonds, and a little pepper with a vinaigrette and voila!



EVEN the kids ate it!  And, believe it or not Amy's soy cheese pizza is actually pretty tasty.  NOBODY has complained and my husband and kids are really picky eaters. The item on the right is eggplant parmesan with vegan parmesan (and it actually tastes pretty good too).



3 comments:

  1. Yum! So glad you enjoyed the box! Love that your whole family is on board as well--that is no small feat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did! And, you are so wonderful to think of us. Sending the eggplant recipe your way :)

      Delete
  2. P.S. I need the eggplant parm. recipe!

    ReplyDelete