Friday, April 27, 2012

Garden as a museum

The last two days have left me giddy for gardens made for exploring.   Community gardens give me the same pitter patter as museums.  Self expression and beauty there for all.

Yesterday, Iris and I had our first Mom daughter date ever at Eastside Cafe.  These are the moments with her that I just live for.  

{Iris & me, plates practically licked clean!}
We couldn't help but visit their garden, oh...about 4 times!  All visits instigated by Iris of course, but once I walked through the garden, something happened...my blood pressure just seemed to drop, I was able to breathe deeper, take in the smell of nature, and really see all the amazing creatures the garden allures in, namely butterflies and birds tweeting to their sweet delight. 





My friend Shelby is out of town for several months and asked me to check in on her plot at Deep Eddy Community Garden.  

{Shelby and her beautiful family Memrie, Saylor,
Charles, and Tye with my little Sam as an infant}

Little did she know this is my secret DREAM!!!!  I lived near this community garden for 9 years and fantasized about my life growing amazing bounty behind the fence overlooking Lake Austin (sorry, it's kind of like Tootie Mears.  I'll always think of Ladybird Lake as Lake Austin).   Mind you, I'm not really Martha Stewart in the garden, I just wish I was.
  
There are currently more than 30 garden plots of various sizes with the largest being 20 x 20.  Because of the central location and wonderful river bottom sandy loam soil there is a very long waiting list to obtain a garden plot at Deep Eddy.  Some of the gardeners have been actively gardening at Deep Eddy since it was started 30 YEARS AGO....really.  I think Shelby waited 2 years to get in.  THAT is dedication.


{Iris at our first visit to Shelby's Deep Eddy plot}

So, today I made my second visit to my foster garden.  I got butterflies as I opened the gate and had the entire garden to myself.  YES!  I felt a little like I was trespassing but, I loved perusing the plots and seeing each gardeners personality.  Just seeing your food is pretty amazing AND I got to bring home two beautiful artichokes.  Can't wait to prepare them and enjoy!

Here are photos from my visit today.  Excuse the quality from my ancient iphone.

Shelby's plot
Shelby's artichokes
Swiss chard

Lettuce


Asparagus

No comments:

Post a Comment